8/7/05

Catching up

I think all the activity is catching up to some of the cast. I've been feeling a little under the weather today and I know Rhonda and Melonie have been fighting off colds as well. Melonie also had a little accident with her foot the night before our first preview. From what I heard someone had accidentally stepped on the back of her flip-flop and she stumbled and cut the inside of her toe. She had to go to the emergency room and get stitches. From what Teresa said it makes me thankful for our health care system in the States. She is all right now and has been doing a great job.

Matt and a few of the others thanked me for blogging and said their parents and relatives had been following the trip on the blog. I asked them how they had heard about it and apparently they had seen the article in the Tribune where there is a link to the Lysistrata's War website which also has a link to this blog.

Josh Jessup also wrote a nice email saying he had been following the trip on the blog and asked me to pass on a picture to Shannon. She wasn't too pleased, however, when I shared it with the rest of the cast, but it was so cute I couldn't resist. It was Dave Andersen's birthday yesterday, so his wife and daughter, Linda and Rachel, put together a little surprise party for him. Great sandwiches!

I thought the show went quite well last night, though I think I persuaded Dave to have Kurt bump up the background music tonight a little more in the first half. The trio with Matt, Will, and Tom (the new song "At the Front - Until You Stop the War Reprise") was the best it has sounded yet. The harmonies are difficult and a little tricky at the end. We had our biggest audience yet, so I think the word is starting to get out. Shannon has been consistently right on and I am very proud of the cast. The competition here is stiff, but I think our show holds it own against the others.


Shannon Dolan as Lysistrata. (©2005, Williams/Bacigalupo.)

Junel and the Taylors went to the National Gallery on Princes St. Hopefully I'll get a chance to stop in there before we leave. It looks great in the guidebook. Would also love to get to Eilean Donan Castle, but since that is up near the Isle of Skye it's doubtful we would have time to get up there and back for the show. Still checking on that. Dave mentioned about taking the train up to Stirling, so that may be in the cards soon.

I wasn't able to find the Scotsman review yet, but I will post it when I do. I also noticed that Reuters had an article, "Terrorism is the hot topic at Edinburgh's Fringe," though they didn't mention us. Oh well.... I did find our press release and some other info at the C Venues site.

Rhonda Keen and Jeff Whitt are going tonight after the show to a Fringe press event. Apparently we could send two representatives from our show there to schmooze with the press and Dave figured that Jeff and Rhonda would do the best job. Hmmmm....

It's been an awesome experience so far. Sometimes I still have to pinch myself to realize that, yes, I really am in Scotland doing our show at the Fringe, and not in some Disneyland fantasy world.

2 comments:

Mark D. Williams said...

Dave Hamilton sent this comment by email to LTCC:

Well, we have had our previews, distributed posters and flyers (including almost getting kicked off the royal mile for drawing a crowd without a street performers license). We received our first review from the publication Three Weeks which is a major festival publication. We got 4 out of 5 stars (the highest rating for any musical so far). You can access the review at:
http://www.threeweeks.co.uk/genre_musicals.asp

The show is going well, we have had other reviewers, but nothing written as yet. Our houses picked up the last couple of days and we have had some very flattering comments. Hopefully we'll keep a good buzz and draw good crouds.

Cheers!

Mark D. Williams said...

Lori Gaskin sent this comment August 9 by email to LTCC:

In case you didn't get a chance to read the review - here's a direct
link to
it! Very good review!!

Lori

http://www.threeweeks.co.uk/detail_review.asp?id=1118