8/13/05

Checkout and a Day at the Gallery

We had to be packed up and out of the flats by 10:00 am this morning which for a few of the cast was a bit of a chore. Junel and I took a bus to the bottom of Calton Hill and walked up to see the Greek monuments and Nelson Monument.


Originally to be a National Monument, the unfinished "Parthenon." (©2005, Williams/Bacigalupo.)


View overlooking Princes St. from Calton Hill. Note Edinburgh Castle in the background. (©2005, Williams/Bacigalupo.)

It was raining and so we decided to go the National Gallery. Junel had gone before with the Taylors, but I hadn't had a chance to see it yet. Fabulous collection of paintings -- some nice Impressionists and also Renaissance artists. We probably spent a good three hours or so in there.


Sir Henry Raeburn's "The Rev. Walker Skating on Duddingston Loch," from the National Gallery of Scotland. (Courtesy Allposters.com.)

Then we were getting hungry so we hiked up to the Mile and had lunch at Deacon Brodie's. Some say he was the inspiration for the character of Dr. Jekyll in Stevenson's novella. Walked around stalling for time before our last show tonight. I'm sure the cast we'll be bummed out we're leaving.

Looking forward to Ireland, though I don't know what the internet access will be like there. I may not be able to get on as often, but I do hope to continue the blog. I'd eventually like to add some pictures too when I get back. Time's about up. Better sign off.

No comments: